11.2.08

Public Speaking 101

This semester I'm taking Public Speaking, Speaking for the Orally Challenged, and while I am highly skilled in the art of giving dome, I come off as a complete moron every time I attempt to vocalize my thoughts. In writing (this blog apparently an exception), I could probably fool you into thinking I'm a professor of communications at U.C.L.A., but as soon as I open my mouth to tell you my name, I have no idea what the hell I'm doing. Right now I'm supposed to be preparing a speech that I'm scheduled to present tomorrow, and I know it's going to suck.

My problem is, whenever I talk to anyone, my vocabulary is decreased dramatically. Suddenly, I'll only know four descriptive words:
-Cool
-Awesome
-Stupid
-Gay

And every statement I make ends with "So, like, yeah."

I realized all of my relationships that have any depth are with people who are my friends on Instant Message. I don't want to blame the internet for people in my generation being so awkward in face-to-face social situations, but it's really the only thing I can think to suspect, along with the fact that we've allowed our social skills to diminish so significantly.

1 comment:

ManAgainstMan said...

This is an old post but goddamn, this sums up my public life perfectly.